Homesick

Since long time ago, I have been thinking about this post. I´ll honest if I say that I don’t know exactly why after many years been far from home, far from Mexico, far from my friends and family, suddenly I feel homesick. I think is probably consequence of the fact that in recent days, I became father and I may subconsciously think about the Mexican roots of my son, what at the same time makes me think in my own identity.

So I was trying to make a reconstruction of the facts that little by little were building part of what nowadays I am like a person, that is why I will write this post.

During my teenhood, I was searching cultural aspects in my environment where I could feel empathy, ironically at the beginning of the 90´s in a small town named Huixcolotla (place of thorns) of a third world country without youtube, Spotify or social networks I didn´t find so much elements to feel empathy.  I had MTV, but this music channel (the equivalent of the YouTube currently) was just exporting mainly the American music and their culture.

However in certain way Mexico was crossing a trhought strong cultural evolution reflected in the film industry and music, and it’s of the last part that I want to share those elements which add a bit to my personality and in certain way modelated my mexican identity. That is why this post it is about pure mexican music talent and the reason why I wrote this post in english its because I think can be more interestig for my foreing friends, and to take a look of the mexican music I was hearing at high school, and to discover throught the videos a bit of the culture of my country. Here I go.

In the mid 90´s was really popular a song named Mr. P-Mosh, belonging to a couple of guys know as Plastilina Mosh. Consequence of that hit music, they were able to jump in the international music scenario, to be honest I like the song but after the group according to my humble point of view, they did so much better music, songs like ¨Human Disco ball¨, ¨Nalguita¨ or ¨Castigame¨(punish me). But Judge yourselves.


In those same years was released a mexican film that finally after many years of bad movies, this one worth it. The movie count a story of a group of friends and their interpersonal problems related to sex, shame and tears, as was named the movie includid the homonym soundtrack, this last belonging to a mexican soft pop singer, the song became easily icon of the pop culture, it´s a ballade... it can be erotic music, nevermind, let's enjoy the pain of a heart brocken,  Sexo, pudor y lagrimas of Alex Syntek


As the teenager that I was, I was desperate by finding the voice of revolution that lives in all the young's. Then, a band named MOLOTOV appeared, with a cover picture by so far irreverent (a school teen girl with the underwear down, in a very suggestive position) and music criticizing the society but mainly the goberment. The lyrics were full of bad words reason to be vetoed from most of the Radio stations and all the tv media, but what could be more attractive for a teen than something prohibiten?, I liked the song, the album and the music that they did after up to nowadays, like ¨frijolero¨, a song that replies back to the americans who discriminate the inmigrants work force in the USA, a spanish-english song with a strong social critics to our neighboors. But I wont introduce you that song, it´s necesary recommend the first and most important single from the band, ¨give me the power¨. Enjoy it.



I have never been so fan of the hip hop musica, probably because I never feel empathy with the lyrics, however when I was teen, I mexican hip hop band became famous. Rarely comming from the north of the country: Monterrey (all the music was created in the Federal District (capital city) now re named as CDMX), this group strongly influenced from Cypress Hill and speaking about the gang enviroment in the north of Mexico. A very funny fact its that the singer after three albums, change completely and nowadays is preacher of the cristian religion, he even has his YouTube channel!, what the fuck!. It was not really the kind of music that attracked me but it was very famous band at that momment. The video that I post is the first and more famous, the quality of the video is almost rustic, after did not improve so much, Ja. Watch it and make your own conclusions.

With you: Control Machete - Comprendes Mendez.


With the previous videos we have discovered bands or groups that were icons at the end of the 90´s and beginning of the 2000, with different styles and from differents genders, but no one as genuine and authentic as Cafe Tacuba... This days that I feel homesick, and I think about my country, there is no band that with his musick bring me a flash back of my teenhood as Cafe Tacuba does. I could say many good things about this band, they are versatil, and they have implemented in many of their songs characteristics of many other traditional and regional music from many places from my Mexico. They have a great album named RE, and a beautiful Unplugged fro MTV, I could name a long list of interesting songs from them, its hard select one to introduce them, I had to select it almost ramdomly, I hope you like it and take your free time or curiosity to discover more of them.


Nowadays, my Spotify is full of completely different music, there is nothing linked to this small playlist, however, in a exercise of my memory, trying to remember where I come from, I remember that music with a little bit of melancholy. I hope you enjoyed as much as I did.

Sarahel

Comentarios

Entradas populares